An action button acts as a hyperlink to another slide in the presentation, another presentation, another Microsoft Office document, a web site, etc. It is often required to put an action button to every slide in the presentation, so you can quickly transfer to the required location wherever you are in the presentation. For example, you may want to create an action button to a particular page on your company web site, or you may want to return to the most recently viewed slide if you have been asked by a member of the audience to go to a particular slide and then need to get back to where you were before the interruption.
If using Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 or Microsoft PowerPoint 2010:
- To create an action button on each slide in the presentation, go into Slide Master view, by clicking the View tab, then in the Presentation Views group, click Slide Master.
- On the Insert tab, in the Illustrations group, click Shapes.
- From the Shapes dropdown, choose the required Action Button at the bottom; in this example we use the seventh button, which is Return.
- The mouse cursor becomes a black cross. Click and drag to draw the action button on the Slide Master in an appropriate location. The button can be made as small as desired and can be located at the very edge of a slide so that it is not obtrusive. When the mouse is released, the Action Settings dialog box opens.
- By default, since we selected Return, the dialog box indicates that the action button will hyperlink to the last slide viewed. For other options, click the Hyperlink to dropdown. Click OK.
- Return to Normal view by clicking the Normal button – the left of those on the Status bar towards the bottom right of the window. The action button is displayed on each slide.
- Now when in Slide Show view, whichever slide is navigated to, clicking the action button returns to the previously viewed slide.
If using Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 or earlier versions:
- Click View – Master – Slide Master.
- From the Drawing toolbar, click AutoShapes – Action Buttons and select a button.
- Click where you want the action button to be placed on your slide. The Action Settings dialog box will be displayed.From the Hyperlink to dropdown list, select where you want to go to when the action button is clicked.
- Click OK.
- If necessary, reposition or resize your action button.
- To assign an action button to a Web address or URL, select URL from the drop-down list to the right of the Hyperlink to box. The Hyperlink to URL dialog box will be displayed. Type in the required Web address, then click OK twice.
- To assign an action button to another slide in your presentation, select Slide from the drop-down list to the right of the Hyperlink to box. The Hyperlink to Slide dialog box will be displayed. Select the required slide, then click OK twice.
- To assign an action button to another PowerPoint presentation, select Other PowerPoint Presentation from the drop-down list to the right of the Hyperlink to box. The Hyperlink to Other PowerPoint Presentation dialog box will be displayed. Navigate to your required presentation.
Click OK. The Hyperlink to Slide dialog box will be displayed. Select which slide you want to hyperlink to first, then click OK twice.
To add text to an action button:
Right-click on the action button.
From the shortcut menu, click Add text.
Enter the required text into the action button.
Click anywhere within the slide.
To add sound to an action button:
- Right-click on the action button.
- From the shortcut menu, click Action Settings.
- Select the Mouse Click or Mouse Over tab.
- Check the Play sound box.
- From the drop-down list, select your required sound. If you click Other Sound from the bottom of the list, the Add Sound dialog box will be displayed; navigate to your required sound, then click OK.
- Click OK.