- The critical path is the series of tasks that must be completed on schedule for a project to finish on schedule.
- A delay to any one of the tasks in the critical path will cause a knock on effect right through to the end of the project.
- Project 2010 automatically calculates the critical path through your project once you have defined all your tasks’ durations and relationships.
- Each of the tasks, which linked together form the critical path, is called a critical task.
- In Microsoft Project, a critical path can be shown on the Gantt chart and the Network Diagram Chart in red. In Gantt Chart view, go to the Gantt Chart Tools Format contextual tab, and check the Critical Path box.
To filter to only see the critical tasks, while in Gantt Chart view, go to the View tab, click on the drop-down arrow in the Filter box, and select Critical Tasks. Only your critical tasks will then be displayed in the Gantt Chart. To see all tasks again, select All Tasks from the Filter dropdown.
Find information about our Microsoft Project training courses Sydney, Australia and our Microsoft Project training courses London, UK.